Accident Checklist -
What to do in an Accident
Being involved in a car accident can be quite a traumatic experience. First there is the shock of the collision, then comes the confrontation of inspecting the damage and meeting the other people involved. So it comes as no surprise that it can be quite common for people to not know what they need to do at the accident scene.
If you ever find yourself unlucky enough to be involved in a car accident, here are some helpful tips on what to do:
1. Check to see if anyone is hurt or injured
The first thing to do, if possible, is to move your car off the road and to stay safe. Then check to make sure everyone is ok. If someone has been injured, call an ambulance and/or police immediately on 000.
2. Exchange details
Make sure you get the following 3 essential details that will make your life easier when dealing with insurance companies:
- Photo of their driver’s licence
- Contact information: mobile or home phone number and preferably an alternate contact number
- Insurance information: which insurer, type of cover (Comprehensive, Third Party Property, or Compulsory Third Party)
3. Is the car roadworthy or not?
There are many variables that come in to play when determining if a vehicle is fit to be used on the road. If you’re unsure, a tow truck driver can examine the vehicle and if deemed unroadworthy, they will tow your vehicle.
DOWNLOAD OUR “WHAT TO DO IN AN ACCIDENT” GUIDE
For all of these handy tips and more, download our free accident guide above, print it out and keep it in your car in case you ever need it.